Tuesday, March 01, 2011

DIY Lego Table

Solomon's 8th birthday is right around the corner. In keeping with our need to keep the amount of stuff down in the house and keep things organized and contained... and since he only really ever plays with Legos any way, I decided to make him a Lego table. Most pre-built Lego tables are expensive and tiny! They are made for little kids for some reason. Solomon is not a little kid, so a larger table is needed.

First I thought about copying this idea.
But I'm not sure how functional the bins would actually be with this kid. He mostly likes to dump them all out on the floor and shuffle through them.
I also liked the idea of having a smaller square table. I found a unfinished one online made out of rubber tree wood. It runs around $100 without shipping. So I called the local unfinished furniture store. They sell the same table for $170! Too much! I then found this table on Amazon.com, which is exactly the same but finished. And with our Prime membership the shipping is free and it will be here in a couple of days! I also order four large Lego base plates.

My idea is to partly copy this idea and glue all four base plates to a piece of 30 X 30 Plexiglas and put some kind of rubber stoppers on the bottom to keep it from slipping around on the table. That way when we want we can pick it up and use the table for puzzles, games, etc...

Now for Lego storage... We tried this and it didn't work well for us. He still just wants to dump them out and sort through them that way.

Searching around online the storage and organization of Legos seems to be a common theme without a good solution. My thought is to get some kind of plastic storage tower that would roll under the table and have shallow drawers in it. So we could organize the drawers some what and he would still be able to pull them out and put them on his lap and have room to shuffle through them without dumping them. Some with divided smaller compartments would be good too. Not that they would actually stay organized for more than two seconds and it's not something I'm going to spend every evening doing... ha!

Any ideas on Lego storage, organization? I really like this but it's so pricey!

I'll post photos of the table when I get it all built this weekend. I have until Tuesday!

No comments: