Sunday, March 06, 2011

Easy DIY LEGO Table for a Big Kid!

The table is really nice! Nice solid hardwood and with our Amazon.com Prime membership it arrived in only two days! It was very easy to put together, just screw in the four legs and you're done. It would perfect if it was actually 30 x 30 square but it's 29.5 x 29.5, close enough. I doubt the one the unfinished furniture store was selling for $70 more was actually 30 x 30 because it really looks like EXACTLY the same table. So the table was $100 but it's a nice solid table and we'll use it for other things as well. The cost of four 15 x 15 LEGO base plates was $60! (what a racket). And I spent $12 on "E-grips" which have not arrived yet. I got the idea after the base plates came to just put some kind of non-slip grip on the bottom of the plates. That way we can customize the table and use the plates in other places as well, like the dining room table (shhhh, I didn't say that).

Solly and I went to Toys-R-Us today and he picked out his latest Star Wars ship for his birthday, they had a special going so he got a $15 set of LEGOS for Margo with the ship. Margo is doing a great job, as you ca see in the photos following directions and putting her things together! We then went to JoAnn fabrics to get buttons and look at their storage options there. They had a craft cart by Iris that had a nice little divided sorting top on it. Like this one but with just drawers. It was simple pull out drawers. We wanted to look at the one at Target before making up our mind. This was a Sterlite craft cart with removable cases. Solly liked this one because he thinks it will help keep Mira out. I wasn't so sure after looking at it, it seems like the lids will just get annoying. But it was on sale, because it had slight damage for $20, so I bought it for him.

You can see that I've begun to divide up the LEGOS a little, it's going to take awhile and we are already out of cases to put the other categories I had in mind, oh well. I think in the bottom case we will keep all the instruction booklets. I think the perfect LEGO cart would have maybe two cases and the rest drawers, some with dividers... and the divided top of the cart for additional sorting for current project. Maybe some day I'll buy another one with just drawers and see if we can mix it up....

Hopefully the E-grips will work well for keeping the plates still on the table.

I think the photos also demonstrate nicely the need for a regular sized table for this particular almost 8 year old.

No comments: