Friday, March 11, 2011

Our Daily Schedule/ Routine

Since this is a blog about my life as a stay-at-home-mom, I thought it would be interesting to put up some examples of a typical day at our house.

First of all, things change up slightly every now and again depending on extra curricular activities. I always keep one day out of the five week days completely open, so we can have a fun go do something cool day, an errand day or a lazy day depending on what we need.

Solomon is in school five days a week and has to be there by 9 am. So we wake up around 7/ 7:30 am and get ready and have breakfast usually around 8 am. Solly likes to get up and go sit on the couch in the living room and read first thing in the morning. He's also been going down and working on LEGOS since I set up his LEGO area for his birthday. We start getting ready to leave the house at 8:30 and walk him to school. Then we come back home, sometimes only briefly before one of the girls needs to be somewhere. We were going to the Y on Monday and Wednesday mornings and they were in swim classes. But Margo decided she needed a break from swimming. (she was very close to having a break through and swimming on her own and I think this scared her). So now they have a gym class at the same time on Mondays at the Y. I pack a lunch for Margo and she eats lunch at the Y on Mondays and then we take her straight to preschool and drop her off. Back home and Mira goes down for her nap right around 1 pm. Most days I have to wake her up at 2:45 to go pick Margo up at 3 pm. Then we drive back home, park the car, get the stroller and walk to pick Solomon up from school at 3:30. The kids sometimes stay and play at the playground at school if the weather permits or we split up and a friend comes home with us and one goes to a friends house. This give me an hour or so to do a few things around the house. I usually clean up the kitchen and start laundry while Mira's napping, unless I'm not feeling great and then I just sit and knit and relax for a little while or sometimes I actually get up the gumption and do some yoga!
On Tuesdays Mira has a Kindermusik class in the morning and Margo goes to a friend's house to play. A lot of times, since we are out any way, we will do a little grocery shopping before lunch after music class on Tuesdays. Margo usually enjoys playing in the house or having me read to her while Mira naps on Tuesday afternoons.
Wednesdays now are a little less stressful. We sometimes walk or dive over to the yoga studio a few blocks away to do some toddler yoga and Margo has preschool in the afternoons and Mira naps. Wednesday evening Solomon has a climbing class at the Y. I messed up his registration for this, so it's at 5:30 and we've been getting Subway sandwiches for dinner. I'm not crazy about this. I liked it better when it was at 4:30, that way we could still come home and make dinner and all sit down together but at least it's only one day a week.
Thursdays are our free days. Well, mostly free, we still have to get Solomon to school and pick him up, so we can't venture off too far. There's a yoga class at the Y on Thursday mornings that is okay... better than nothing. So I have tried putting the girl's in the nursery and going to this class, which worked out once so far.
And Fridays are a busy day! Margo has Spanish class in the mornings and Preschool in the afternoons. When the weather isn't awful we all walk Solomon to school and then walk Margo to Spanish class and drop her off and then walk back home. Play with Mira for a little bit. Go get Margo, make her lunch to take to preschool and take her to preschool. When I work in the classroom, it's on a Friday because Jon is mostly able to work from home on Fridays.

It's difficult to find balance with three kids. Sometimes I worry that we are doing too much, sometimes I worry we aren't doing enough. Mostly for Solomon, I wonder if I should get him involved in more after school activities but I hate the thought of running around in the evenings and not have a nice sit-down family dinner. So I think I'll wait for him to really develop in interest and ask to do something.

Next year Mira will start preschool in the two's class. (if we end up not moving....) That's two mornings a week. So we will walk Solomon and Margo to school and then head to preschool two mornings a week. I have about a half an hour, so I may actually be able to walk her there after dropping the kids off and get a little exercise but I may be cutting it too close or I could ride my bike with Mira in the front seat. That would have to be on non-rainy days since she would be exposed. Or I could pull out or trailer, which is probably not in great shape since it's been stored under the deck. Last time we pulled it out it was pretty mildowy.
Preschool is only for an hour and half, so I'll probably just read or knit in the coffee shop until she's done and then we'll have a little time before we'll have to head over and pick up Margo from school.
We are going to try and put her in half day, so I'm not sure what time I'll have to pick her up. I think Kindergarten lunch is at 11 and she wants to stay for lunch and recess, so I think that would mean picking her up at noon.
What we do in the afternoons will depend on whether Mira is still napping!


So that give you an idea of a stay-at-home mom's typical day!

No comments: