Thursday, September 04, 2008

not on my watch...

One of those parenting moments you would never think would happen on your watch: Margo climbed out the freakin' window today and onto the flat roof!
I was sitting in the living room, Margo was up playing in the playroom. Solomon and neighbor friend were out in the back yard. I actually managed to clean the house, vacuum, mop, dust today. It took all my energy but I did it and I was wiped out. Jon went out with a friend after work and wouldn't be home until later. Seemed like a good time to rest a little.... boy was I wrong.
I hear Solomon's friend saying, "you need to tell your mom right now" Solomon is arguing with him for some reason and I'm thinking what are they up to now. Finally Jace yells, "Margo's on the roof!". I immediately pop up and run upstairs, she's already on her way back half way through the window.
My heart is racing. She seems embarrassed and goes and hides under a blanket. She tells me she was getting a rock.
Okay, so it's kind of sweet that Solomon was trying to protect Margo from getting in trouble but also really disturbing that he didn't understand the immediate danger of the situation and think to yell for me as soon as he realized she was out there.
I bought a window guard for the front window, which drops to the front yard. But figured that I didn't need one for the window leading out to the flat roof. I remember thinking that if a younger kid were to crawl out there (not thinking that my nearly three year old would) I would be close time and there would be time to grab them back.
Okay, so bad plan. Need another freakin' window guard.

No comments: